NSHS Programs and Clubs
A variety of activities are available to North Salem High School students. Please encourage your son or daughter to become involved in our school experiences in and outside the class room. If you have questions or comments contact our activity director is Antonio Mercado.
Why School Programs and Clubs are Important for Students:
- Appealing to Colleges.
- Colleges like to see students involved in extra-curricular activities. It means that they are well rounded and understand how to balance other things besides schoolwork.
- Improved Academics.
- A survey conducted by the Minnesota State High School League in 2007 and reported by the NFHS found that the average GPA of a high school athlete was 2.84, while a student who was not involved in athletics had an average GPA of 2.68.
- Safe Fun.
- Teenagers need stimulation and if they don’t play a sport or do some other extra-curricular activity, they will find that stimulation elsewhere. Sometimes this can end up hanging out with the wrong crowd or doing some other deviant behavior.
- School Spirit
- Students involved in school programs find a sense of belonging and are more likely to expressing having a positive connection with school.
- Social and Parental Bonding.
- Teens who play a sport or are involved in a club will most likely bond with their peers and this improves their social skills. Sports/Clubs can also maintain and improve parent-teen bonding, if the parents are involved and encourage their son or daughter.
School programs allow our students to branch out into other interests that they can then carry with them into the real world. Our programs have college and career readiness curriculum that allows for creativity while teaching life skills. Check out the links to each program below to find out more.
After School Clubs
After School clubs build resumes for colleges, allow for socialization and is a safe way to get our students interested in other activities. Check out the links below for the clubs offered here at North Salem High: