In the most recent guidance, the Oregon Health Authority and the Oregon Department of Education strongly advise face coverings for all students in grades kindergarten and up, and all staff when students are inside the building.
Accommodations for medical needs or disability
Certain accommodations for medical needs or disability may be necessary. In addition, Salem-Keizer Public Schools leaders have met with Marion County Health and Human Services and Polk County Public Health to discuss both adult and student protocols and will continue to closely monitor the protocols as outlined below and adjust as necessary.
Return to school in September
The district plans to provide full-time, in-person instruction, five days a week in September. The goal is that the following protocols will position SKPS to return students and staff to school without the need to wear face coverings in the fall.
Immediate changes to protocols on July 1, 2021
The immediate changes to our protocols beginning on July 1, 2021, are as follows:
- Students are required to wear face coverings indoors and on school buses until further notice.
- Staff are required to wear face coverings indoors when in direct contact with students. This applies on school buses as well. Direct contact is defined as within 3 feet of a student for 15 minutes or longer.
- Staff and students are not required to wear face coverings outdoors.
- Anyone may choose to wear a face covering in situations when it is not required.
- Physical distancing will continue indoors with at least 3 feet of distancing when possible.
Families will receive additional back-to-school information when it is available.